Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Statement of Purpose


Hello, my name is Kelly Driscoll and I am currently a second year master’s student in the Master of Liberal Arts program here at Temple. I am currently pursuing my 2nd master’s degree at temple. My first master’s degree is a Masters in Applied Sociology (MA) from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia.  In my undergraduate studies, which were also completed from Old Dominion University, I doubled majored in Criminal Justice and Sociology.  While at Old Dominion University I played in goal for our nationally ranked field hockey program, following my career at ODU I was named to the national field hockey development team. I soon then got moved up in the central training program and trained full-time as a member of the US Field hockey team. What a wondering experience, so needless to say sports have played a strong role in my work ethic and character.
            I am very interested in studying race, ethnicity, and culture in the urban environment. After the completion of my degree, I would love to work with the at-risk youth population, via enrichment programs or non-profit groups. This class interested me because materials are used in our everyday life whether it is at work, at home, or in social settings. How one views and interprets these materials determines how we as human view the material and its relationship to our society. I believe that materials can dictate the socio-economic status of the individual.  Additionally, I am interested in relating how materials help an individual improve their life situation or how materials block an individual’s development in our society which will impede the individual from being successful in the long run.  Lastly, I am excited to see how bias in our society shapes our thoughts and feelings towards specific materials. We never really look at a material and wonder why we associate it with either male or female, so I think that throughout the semester it will be very interested and enlightening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment