Sunday, December 2, 2012

Exhibit Design Phase

              I had a lot of fun creating this design. Since our exhibit is going to be in two phases, I choose to work with the theme of performance. For the first phase I used the theme of celebration/upscale event. Therefore,  I choose to pace the 3 wedding dresses in chronological order in the case. Then I placed the Honeymoon Trousseau Dress as the final piece in the case. On the opposite side of the room I placed the corset, which would of been worn by the bride under her wedding or Trousseau Dress. I also placed the Dolman because it was a high end jacket that would of been worn to a special event, potentially worn by a guest to a high end wedding. Therefore, the overall theme of the first phase was the celebration/upscale event.
The 2nd phase looks at the concept of performance through every day material. In the class it starts with the day dress, followed by the assembly dress, and then the 2 waistcoats. These were every day items that were expected to be worn in the day to day activities of citizens.
             My only issue I ran into was the card case, I had an issue connecting it to the upscale event phase and I do not consider the card case part of everyday experience because it is a mourning card case. It is an accessory that is expected at a normal funeral, thus aiding in the concept of normal performance wear. Which is why I placed the card case between the top hat and the shoes in a case on the opposing wall.

Phase 1
I am unable to upload Phase 1, however it is the same design set up!
In the case will be the 1837 Wedding Dress, 1845 Wedding Dress, 1850 Wedding Dress, and the 1888 Trousseau Dress
-On the opposing wall will be a case holding the corset ( the same position as the shoe case in phase 2)
-The Dolman Will also be a in case on the opposing wall ( same position as the top hat)
- The crazy quilt will be hung up between these two cases on the opposing wall.

Below is Phase 2
- In the case it will include; the Day Dress, Assemble Gown, 18th Cent. Waistcoat, 19th cent. waist coat
- The crazy quilt will be placed behind the 18th and 19th cent. waistcoat on the wall.
- On the opposing side there will be 3 cases holding the card case, shoes, and top hat.

Phase 2

No comments:

Post a Comment